1. Hear this, all ye people, hear,
Earth’s inhabitants, give ear;
All of high and low degree,
Rich and poor, give heed to me.
2. Truth will all my heart I seek,
And my mouth shall wisdom speak;
Hearken while in lyric strain
I make hidden wisdom plain.
3. Why should I to fear give way
When I see the evil day,
When with wickedness my foes
Shall surround me and oppose?
4. They that trust in treasured gold,
Tho’ they boast of wealth untold,
None can bid his brother live,
None to God a ransom give.
5. If from death one would be free
And corruption never see,
Costly is life’s ransom price,
Far beyond all sacrifice.