1. My soul, with holy awe remember,
The Lord, in brightest majesty,
At Horeb’s mount, gave there His statutes,
And spake these words to hear and see:
2. “I am the Lord, thy God and Savior,
I, out of bondage set thee free,
Delivered thee from slavish labor;
Hence, serve no gods, but Me!
3. “Adoring idols are transgressions;
I am the Lord, a jealous God;
I’ll punish to four generations,
Bless, who in righteous paths have trod.
4. Thou shalt not take the Lord’s name idly;
Nor vainly use or falsely swear
A treacherous oath, for they are guilty,
Who sinfully do not forbear.
5. The sabbath-day shalt thou keep holy,
Remember, sanctify and rest;
For God, has hallowed to His glory
The sabbath worship, which He blest.
6. Honor thy father and thy mother,
So that thy God, who lives for aye,
Bless all thy efforts, with His favor
Prolong thy life from day to day.
7. Thou shalt not kill, nor give offenses,
Break not the wedlock. Do not steal
Thy neighbor’s goods. Bear no false witness;
Walk in God’s law with fervent zeal.
8. Thine heart, shall never from thy neighbor
Covet his house, his wife, his food;
Thy soul, shall as thy mouth, with honor
Sing praises, for the Lord is good!”
9. Grant grace O Lord, that we may treasure
Thy law, and faithfully rejoice
In Christ alone, with strength and pleasure
Serve Thee, with thankful heart and voice.