1. O wherefore do the nations rage,
And kings and rulers strive in vain,
Against the Lord of earth and heav’n
To overthrow Messiah’s reign?
2. Their strength is weakness in the sight
Of Him Who sits enthroned above;
He speaks, and judgments fall on them
Who tempt His wrath and scorn His love.
3. By God’s decree His Son receives
The nations for His heritage;
The conqu’ring Christ supreme shall reign
As King of kings, from age to age.
4. Be wise, ye rulers of the earth,
And serve the Lord with godly fear;
With rev’rent joy confess the Son
While yet in mercy He is near.
5. Delay not, lest His anger rise,
And ye should perish in your way;
Lo, all that put their trust in Him
Are blest indeed, and blest for aye.